Issue Five of LAIKA Magazine is an uplifting exploration of the strength embodied in the vegan movement — athletic, as well as strength of character, resolve and determination. This, the “Strength Issue,” reports on the bold activism, innovative creativity, and fearless drive of veganism. Gracing the cover is David Carter — The 300 Pound Vegan — a defensive lineman in the NFL, who is using his stature and strength to stand up for animals. Together with co-cover star and wife Paige Carter, they make a formidable team that encapsulate the spirit of today’s animal advocacy. In a LAIKA first, the cover is shot as a self-portrait by Paige in Costa Rica.
Gorgeous original photography and captivating narrative come together in such stories as:
• The Defenders: a candid look at life on board Sea Shepherd’s the Bob Barker vessel during its record-breaking Operation Icefish in Antarctica, as told by members of the crew.
• Solid as a Rock: an inspiring and revealing profile of David “The 300 Pound Vegan” Carter and his wife Paige, their modern life of simplicity, and their drive to spread the word about veganism.
• Cory Booker: the vegan senator shares his thoughts on everything from living your truth to getting active for social change in our exclusive interview.
• No Home on the Range: a haunting special report and photo essay on the plight of America’s wild horses, who are being wiped out by the public’s appetite for “range-fed” meat.
• Freeborn: rare stories and images of animals who are the first in their lineage to be born into freedom, and of a former pig farmer who became vegan and now runs a vegetable farm.
• The Art of Truth: a riveting interview with seminal sociopolitical artist Sue Coe by fellow vegan artist Ruby Roth.
• Fun with Food: a collection of recipes for unique and playful dishes created by Berlin-based chef Sophia Hoffman.
• Our usual mix of cutting edge reporting, photo essays, the latest in style and travel, innovative cuisine and so much more!
82 pages, offset-printed and perfect bound, full color with vegetable based inks on recycled semi-gloss 60lb stock.
Released June, 2015
Shipping and handling:
Domestic included in cost. International calculated at checkout.
For mailing address changes please write to email@example.com. We cannot be held responsible for items not received due to an incorrect address or if an address was not updated prior to moving.